Senior Entertainment Editor, Elite Daily
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2023
Elite Daily is seeking a Senior Editor to lead its Entertainment vertical. The Senior Editor will oversee and execute vertical-defining stories and goals to create buzz and generate traffic, working alongside senior leadership on Elite Daily to do so. The Senior Editor will exhibit a strong editorial judgment and set the expectations and direction for Elite Daily’s Entertainment team. They’ll also be responsible for booking talent, conducting interviews, attending industry events, and reporting and writing as needed.
The Senior Editor should have experience leading an editorial team, and also come with an established network of industry contacts and a community of freelance writers. They should have experience fielding internal and external pitches and managing assignments from start to finish. The ability to thrive independently and as part of a team, juggle multiple projects, and experience planning and maintaining an editorial calendar of timely features, longer-lead packages, and special issues is a must in this role. Applicants in this role should be comfortable appearing on camera for Editorial Social and Editorial Video, as needed.
You will be a coach and mentor to writers and editors, helping them to approach stories with sharp angles, analysis, and originality. The ability to provide written and verbal feedback that is clear, concise, and in line with overall Elite Daily goals, is a must. You will also be responsible for recruiting writers and editors as needed.
The Senior Editor should feel comfortable working across departments and with vertical editors to collaborate on original story angles, edit pieces in tandem, and implement strategy adjustments as necessary.
This is a hybrid role, based in New York City.
- Manage a team of full-time writers as well as editors, which includes setting professional goals, scheduling check ins, and providing regular performance feedback
- Oversee the daily, monthly, and quarterly assignments of Elite Daily, while ensuring they are contributing to the site and vertical's goals
- Provide strategic direction to editors and writers in their assignments
- Manage long-term assignments from freelancers
- Work collaboratively across departments to identify coverage opportunities
- Oversee planning, staffing, and coverage of live and breaking events across a wide range of topics
- Use internal analytics, SEO tools, social insights, and trends to identify new angles and strategy adjustments for stories, working alongside senior leadership to think creatively about how Gen Z, especially college students, consume content
- Create, implement, and execute on vertical-defining series and franchises, and be able to develop vertical-specific special packages
- Recruit writers and editors, as needed
- Independently lead your vertical
- 5+ years experience assigning and editing entertainment stories, with at least 2 years management experience
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Be extremely detailed-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple deadlines and priorities
- Familiarity with SEO best practices, plus experience analyzing content using Google Analytics, Parse.ly, or other analytics tools
- Ability to multitask and adapt quickly
- Sound editorial skills and editorial judgment
- Ability to give and receive feedback
- An understanding of what makes a Elite Dailystory
BDG is one of today’s leading global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture through its authentic and trusted storytelling. Audiences turn to our brands – Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the interests engaging the next generation. Founded in 2013, the Company reaches over 223 million readers and social fans and serves hundreds of the world's largest advertisers. BDG has global offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, London, and Paris.
See more open positions at Fatherly
Something looks off?